Jul 31, 2013

Interview with Judyann McCole

Here is my interview with Judyann McCole, Author of Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock. Hope you enjoy!!



What inspired you to write your first book?
I’m not sure. I think I just realized for years I had been telling stories but not once had I ever taken them down. 

How did you come up with the title?
Urg I went back a forth dozens of times.  I wanted my book title to be cool and attention grabbing but nothing was really coming to me. So I had to stop ask myself what is this story about? The answer…Adela Arthur’s life it just flowed from there.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
There are many messages in Adela Arthur and the Creator’s Clock. Some of them I didn’t even notice until talking with others who had read it. The message is…there is a message. I can’t tell you want I want others to grasp but I do want you to walk away with something.

How much of the book is realistic?
As a writer it is 100% realistic. To everyone it’s fantasy. But I’ve lived in this world… I’ve even dreamt it. So it’s very real to me.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Yes. Without giving anything away I drew from my feelings of loss and betrayal and also great friendships to write this!

What books have most influenced your life most?
I would have to say Where The Sidewalk Ends By Shel Silverstein. It may seem totally out of left field but for so long that book has inspired me to dream the impossible.

What book are you reading now?
I’m trying to read the whole A Game of Thrones series. I just got to the Red Wedding part and I cried. I haven’t seen the show yet because I wanted to wait until after I read but now that I have….yeah.

What are your current projects?
I’m currently working on a few novels right now but I have another one due to be released in the fall! It’s a Young Adult novel about angels. 

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
I would have to say my high school teachers. They really pushed me forward.

Do you see writing as a career?
I hope so. It would be amazing to be able to make a career out of something you love and are passionate about.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
No. I’m very happy with it. I don’t think any author would really change anything in if they could go back. It’s a process and many times there is a reason your story is the way it is.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I just wanted to express myself. I wanted to speak my mind and tell others a good story. I don’t know when I realized I could do that through writing but I would say it was when I was very young.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
You mean what is Adela Arthur about? It’s about the journey of self-discovery in a new world. It’s about the good and evil that’s in all of us and how we have control over our own choices.  Adela Arthur thought she was normal but is not and because of that she needs to find out who she is and what side she is fighting on.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
When the characters do not do what you want them to. We as writers could have a whole different idea for the characters but the moment we start to write things change. Sometimes you like the chance other times you are so angry you want to press the delete button over and over again.

Who designed the cover?
My amazing cover designer was Najia who got want I wanted perfectly.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Even when you don’t feel like it don’t stop writing.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

                Thank you all so much for the love and support! It means so much to me

No comments:

Post a Comment